In this blog, we will put a context to the whole narrative and need for transformative solution in Enterprise IT space, specifically with respect to twins.
Digital twins are much spoken about in IOT and ‘devices’ space, but not in enterprise and applications space. At PID, we believe that the applications space has in fact a greater need of twins.
Dr R a Mashelkar, one of our inspirations and a leading scientific mind in India, calls technologies like AI, IOT etc. as “exponential technologies”. They are ‘exponential’ because their growth curve is exponential and so is their potential and accessibility. Conversely, their costs have been on an ever-decreasing trajectory.
Adoption and inclusion of these technologies is a competitive imperative for enterprises.
I am summarizing below, the current state and challenges in enterprise landscapes.
1. Customers have already made huge investments in transaction processing systems. These systems carry their own views and data. In fact, lots of views of ‘data’ are available.
2. Almost all transaction systems have data integration or application integration in place.
3. However, ‘convergence’ is absent. That is: congruence of purpose, strategy, organization goals etc. with operations embedded in these systems is a critical missing piece.
4. In short, there is a lot of clutter… as the graphic shows….
5. In this clutter, fixed, predetermined visuals obscure business visibility. Information availability is typically undemocratic. Focus on larger organizational performance is many a times lost in narrow, myopic or localized priorities.
6. With such cluttered landscapes, introduction of extra channels or additional interventions create a lot of disruption.
7. Analyst reports / surveys on implementations of digital technologies indicate that, customers and integrators spent too much effort and cost on ‘peripheral’ activities like data preparation, process documentation etc., compared to much lesser component spent on the technology implementation itself.
Introducing an intelligent twin can easily and elegantly plug these gaps. A well-designed analytical twin can significantly unclutter the canvas, provide a meaningful business abstraction of the processes, focused solely on business priorities and provide specific interventions to its transaction twin.
At PID, we are creating this analytical twin for business processes.
For more, watch this space…